The Sunila pulp mill manager´s residence, completed on 1.2.1937, was the first dwelling to be finished in the Sunila residential area. The same details and materials were used in it as in the office building: both buildings were by nature reception areas for visitors to the mill. The house was named Kantola after the first mill manager, Lauri Kanto.
The exterior is characterized by rendered white walls, a flat roof and a chilly Functionalist style, but certain wooden accents soften the overall impression, such as the terraces and the southside pergola. The brick facades have a brushed-on plaster finish so that the jointing remains visible.
The entrance on the north side is set off by courses of yellow brick in the walls adjoining the entrance. The flagged surface outside the main entrance is slate, the same slate material is used on the terrace at the rear.
The residence contains some fifteen rooms, grouped around the hall areas. On the ground floor are the dining room, the master study and living room. The large windows in the living area, the pergola on the ground floor and balcony on the upper floor are on the sunny garden side facing south and towards the sea. A partially open flight of stairs leads from the lower hall to the upper floor. The upper floor contains the private family areas and three guest rooms for accommodating visitors. The kitchen section lies on the east side of the building, as well as rooms for the cook and the maid.
More information on Alvar Aalto Foundation website.