Espoo Funerary Chapel
Kaija and Heikki Siren built a villa and office to the island of Lauttasaari in the turn of the 1960s. The planning of the house started already in 1951 when the Sirens purchased a seashore plot from the mostly uninhabited Lauttasaari island. The Sirens were assisted by Pentti Pantzar, Paavo Mykkänen and Leo Gestranius.
The buildings are situated on the shore side of the vertical plot. This way, most of the trees were saved during the construction and the views from the windows open to the sea. The office is situated on the Tiirasaarentie side of the plot next to the tall brick wall that blocks the view from the street.
Together with the summer cottage in the Lingånsö island in Raseborg, the Siren House represents the comprehensive architect lifestyle the Sirens created for themselves. The villa and office exemplify Modernist idea of joining the private and public life of architects that Aino Marsio-Aalto and Alvar Aalto had created that to their Aalto House in the 1930s. The idea of joining a private family life with the working life became popular among many Finnish architect couples in the 20th century. This way, the female architects with the primary responsibility of domestic work were able to take part in the office work.
The Siren House houses still today the office of Siren Architects, led by Kaija and Heikki Siren’s son architect Jukka Siren.