Watermills in Kainuu Region
The Sodankylä Old Church was built in 1689. It is one of the oldest buildings in Lapland, as most of the villages and towns, even the town of Sodankylä, were destroyed during the Lapland War 1944–1945.
The wooden church represents the style of medieval churches in Finland. It is a fine example of the vernacular wooden built heritage. The church has approximately 220 seats.
The church was abandoned in 1859 when the new church was completed. The heritage value of the old church was recognised in the 1920s, and the church was restored in 1926. The shingle roof and siding were restored in close coordination with the National Board of Antiquities in 1992–1995.