Kupittaa Sports Hall
The building now housing the Museum of Finnish Architecture was constructed for the Learned Societies in 1899. The idea of a building for the Societies was kindled at the beginning of the 1890s, the site was reserved in 1896, and the drawings were made by Magnus Schjerfbeck, chief architect at the National Board of Public Building. The planned Neo-Renaissance building with a cubic central volume and two wings was not realized as such; only the central part was constructed, including library, assembly hall with gallery, studies and a monumental staircase which takes a third of the building.
Several efforts have been made to complete the building. In 1907 the library was proposed to be extended to a semi-circular annex on the courtyard side. In 1922 Schjerfbeck made a new proposal for extension, this time modifying the original wing idea. Neither plan was realized. The Learned Societies moved to the House of the Estates [Säätytalo] in 1931, and the Kasarmikatu 24 building was assigned to the Gymnastics Department of the University of Helsinki. The former assembly hall was filled with gymnastic equipment, and showers were built in the attic. When the Faculty of Sports and Health Sciences moved to Jyväskylä at the beginning of the 1970s the building was vacated. In 1981 the Museum of Finnish Architecture moved there after repairs and restorations, designed by Marjatta and Martti Jaatinen.
The functions of the Museum of Finnish Architecture are located on the three floors of the building. Ticket office, bookshop, library and offices are located on the ground floor, changing exhibitions on the 1st floor and permanent exhibition, architecture archive, offices on the 2nd floor.