Architect
Juha Leiviskä
Completion
1983
Gross area
985 m²
Category
Assembly buildings
Tags
competition multipurpose parish centre sacred white wood

Kirkkonummi centre is dominated by the Medieval church (1250) and belfry (1860) built on a hillock. The townscape is mainly defined by the valleys east and north of the church, and the hills and ranges in the background, the vast Jolkby valley and hills in the east and vicarage hill in the north.

The parish centre is based on the winning entry in an invited competition arranged in 1981. In spite of the strict limitations of the site, the aim was to stress the free dynamics of the slope and make the building an integral part of the landscape.

The position of the parish centre, which is visible from far away, and its dialogue with the church opposite helped influence the room planning and form. All the important rooms are on the main elevation side, and have been exploited to help give the centre the look of a public building.

The room arrangement is reminiscent of ancient monasteries in southern and eastern Europe, where a compact block of long horizontal sections and walls is rhythmically divided up by vertical towers, belfries and the many cupolas on the churches.

The parish centre contains a large parish hall which can be divided into three parts, smaller meeting and teaching rooms, a kitchen and lobby space, some of which is used as a café. The large hall is also used for concerts and some of the smaller rooms as practice and teaching rooms for choirs and music students.

The interior arrangement gradually ‘rises’: one reaches the large rooms via low winding lobby areas.

The building is reinforced concrete, boarded and painted in light tones. The interior surfaces are white and smooth, in plaster and wood.

Source: Finnish Architectural Review 4/1983, 4/1985

Location

Seurakunnantie 1, Kirkkonummi
60.1277149, 24.4383465

Images

View from the southwest, Kirkkonummi Parish Centre
View from the southwest, Kirkkonummi Parish Centre (© Arno de la Chapelle / MFA)
View from the parking level towards the main entrance, Kirkkonummi Parish Centre
View from the parking level towards the main entrance, Kirkkonummi Parish Centre (© Juha Leiviskä / MFA)
View of the west gable, Kirkkonummi Parish Centre
View of the west gable, Kirkkonummi Parish Centre (© Juha Leiviskä / MFA)
Interior of the main parish hall, Kirkkonummi Parish Centre
Interior of the main parish hall, Kirkkonummi Parish Centre (© Arno de la Chapelle / MFA)
Interior of the main parish hall, Kirkkonummi Parish Centre
Interior of the main parish hall, Kirkkonummi Parish Centre (© Jouko Poskiparta / MFA)
Scale model, Kirkkonummi Parish Centre
Scale model, Kirkkonummi Parish Centre (© Sakari Viika / MFA)
Site plan, Kirkkonummi Parish Centre
Site plan, Kirkkonummi Parish Centre (© Juha Leiviskä)

More projects by author

Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Kouvola Town Hall

  • Kouvola
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Myyrmäki Church

  • Vantaa
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

St. John’s Church

  • Kuopio
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

St. Thomas Church

  • Oulu
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Swedish School of Social Science, University of Helsinki

  • Helsinki
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Church of the Good Shepherd

  • Helsinki
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Sandels Cultural Centre

  • Helsinki
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Auroranlinna housing

  • Helsinki
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Runopuisto terraced house

  • Helsinki
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Vallila Library and Daycare Centre

  • Helsinki
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Kipparintalo

  • Helsinki

Nearby projects

Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Villa Adlers

  • 500 m
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Finnish Geospatial Research Institute

  • 7 km
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Hvitträsk

  • 7.6 km