Voimatalo Office Building
- 200 m
In 1900, the city of Helsinki gave a plot to the Jewish community on which to build a synagogue on Malminkatu Street in Kamppi. The area had been settled by Jews when the Jewish market selling old clothes known as “Narinkka” moved to the Simonkenttä Field nearby. However, the congregation had great difficulties in collecting sufficient funds. It was not until 1904 that the congregation was able to hire architect Jac. Ahrenberg to design the synagogue, which included space also for a Jewish school. The construction work commenced in the spring of 1905, and the building was finished in August 1906.
The architecture of the three-story building adheres to an international, eclectic style as was common for 19th century synagogues in Central Europe and England, in which the facades are characteristically defined through the use of round arches. The street facade displays three two-storey high, symmetrically central windows. On both sides, three small round windows carry Star of David motifs. The smooth, sparsely decorated stucco facades do not reflect the character of the building; only the central, highly visible cupola reveals its religious use.
Today the Helsinki Synagogue is the main synagogue for the Jewish community in Finland. The Jewish School of Helsinki, established in 1918, is situated in the annexe.
Source: Jewish Community in Helsinki