In 1948, the Finlayson-Forssa company organised an invited competition for a housing block for its employees. The 344 apartments according to Bryggman’s winning entry were built in five phases over five and a half years. The four-storey staggered block along Mustanlahdenkatu street was built first, in 1949–51. The second phase, completed in 1952, comprised the shopping plaza flanked by the four-storey apartment block Puuvillatehtaankatu 15 and the six-storey Hämeenpuisto 10, which were reserved for officials and foremen. The third phase comprised three blocks along Satakunnankatu street and the sauna and laundry building in the yard, completed in 1953. The fourth phase included one more block on Satakunnankatu street as well as the kindergarten building in the yard.
Most of the apartments comprised one, two or three rooms plus a kitchen. With the exception of the studios, all the apartments extend throughout the full width of the building frame. The buildings have a reinforced-concrete structure, with rendered cement block or brick facades. In the kindergarten playroom there is a fireplace. Originally the facilities included a bowling alley, company library and a restaurant, Tornikellari.
The last phase, completed in 1955, was a 14-storey tower block Impilinna [Maiden’s castle]. It is 44,2 metres tall and comprised initially 144 apartments. The façade was divided into squares replicating the structure. The single-room apartments received a prefabricated interior, including beds that could be lifted up into a recess.
Text: Mikko Laaksonen