Osuustukkukauppa (OTK) Headquarters
Elanto Headquarters was built for the Elanto Consumers’ Co-operative’s headquarters. It was completed in Sörnäinen, a former industrial area in 1928. The building was designed by Väinö Vähäkallio together with his personal assistant Ragnar Wessman. Vähäkallio’s previous works include the OTK Headquarters nearby in Hämeentie and Yrjönkatu Swimming Hall in Helsinki. The Elanto building has a high corner tower, which is decorated by an Art Deco clock. The building represents Nordic Classicism.
The building was inspired by the City hall, by Ragnar Östberg, completed in 1923. Both buildings have the darker red brick as the principal elevation material, classicist overall appearance, solemn entrance gates with granite columns and petite bay windows. The building’s elevations have been preserved.
In contrast to the simple façade, the interior of the building is decorative. Marble and gold foil are used and the colouring is intense. The building has a rare paternoster lift without doors.
Elanto operated from 1906–2003. After the merger with HOK in 2004, the headquarters was redeveloped to office and business premises. Many of the nearby industrial buildings in the Kallio-Sörnäinen area from the early 20th century have been redeveloped to different reuses as well.